Final Project: Why?

 Trying to think of a reason for creating this statue, I definitely had a subconscious reason behind this piece, and a faint idea of how to express it. 

It's about my complicated relationship with my face and mirrors.  I had struggled with severe acne for about six years, starting from the tender age of 14.  It was something that sadly influenced me a lot as I was growing up and through my teen years.  Over the years it created a lot of self-hatred, low self-esteem, and depression.  Things that even now, although my skin is doing much better, still effect me and that I am still insecure about.  

Gradually throughout those years of really disliking my face, I had taught myself to avoid looking into reflective surfaces, or looking at myself in full light.  After so much time this behavior became second nature, and even though I feel a lot better about my face now, I still find myself turning on the low light, or trying to avoid reflections.

While this statue was meant to be an expression of my personal experience, I think a lot of people will be able to relate to it with their own insecurities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 4: New Idea!